Friday, April 29, 2016

Running a Hyper-V VHD file on Virtual Box

We set-up a hyper-v based server in our office here in Singapore.
From time to time, we do get our free-lancers to manage and configure patches etc-etc-etc.


There is this one case where our dear Bangladeshi partner requires access to the Virtual Machine and for weird reasons, need the entire VHD file to do the necessary configuration.

Well, the overall VHD is 40GB, and it'll take days to get it across the WAN lines even with fiber.
So, we decided to ship it in a 64GB Thumbdrive so that it can be sent over quickly.

My colleague was concerned that it might not run properly once it's sent over, as such, she wanted me to verify if the VHD file and the OS is valid.

My quickest way of verifying the set-up would be to use the Virtual Box, and in this case, a VirtualBox Ver 5.0.6r103037

I simply created a VM, set it to Windows Server 2008r2, I did disable the Audio drivers, set the LAN to NAT... and without much thinking, left the processor settings and disk settings as they are.

Windows did not boot. Blue-screen Error with 0x00000007B

Upon google-ing, I realized it's related to the disk controller -
Proceeded to change the Disk from SATA with AHCI mode to IDE with PIIX4 mode.

That solved the problem Immediately and Windows boot.

I wanted better performance on the VM, as such, I decided to change the following configuration on the:
1) motherboard - unticked the ICH9 and enable I/O APIC
2) acceleration - Paravirtualization Interface (Hyper-V), maintained VT-X and Nested Paging

Done!

The Virtual Machine should be happily making its way to Bangladesh now....

No comments: